On January 27, 2016, the York County Commissioners voted to take the next step toward the formation of a regional stormwater authority. The Commissioners agreed to support the results of the York County Stormwater Authority Feasibility Study and to authorize the York County Planning Commission to proceed with an implementation plan for the creation of a regional stormwater authority.
It is anticipated that the implementation plan will address a number of issues related to the formation of a regional stormwater authority, including:
- The scope of the regional authority
- Funding sources and staffing of the authority
- Division of labor between a regional authority and individual municipalities
- Legal authority for the formation of this entity
- Whether the regional authority or the municipalities would hold the required permits
- Methodology for selecting stormwater projects to be funded
York County municipalities are already working cooperatively as part of the York County Stormwater Consortium to address the municipalities’ responsibilities to meet nutrient reduction requirements to improve Chesapeake Bay water quality.
Stock and Leader attorneys are well versed in federal and state stormwater requirements and have worked with our municipal clients to aid them in their efforts to comply with these often complex mandates.